Florida QM Initiative
About FLQMI (Florida Quality Matters Initiative)
Learn more about why the FLQMI was formed.
The Florida Quality Matters Initiative was formed:
- To provide cost-effective opportunities for faculty from the colleges and universities in Florida to participate in Quality Matters subscription, course review and workshops for professional development. The primary focus is on building a cadre of trained faculty who understand the Quality Matters Rubric and Process and who are eligible to serve as certified course peer reviewers
- To provide an organized, cost-effective system-wide approach for Peer Review of online or blended courses that lead to Quality Matters recognition. Our goals are:
- To build a system of FLQMI-managed Peer Review process;
- To integrate Quality Matters Course Peer Review standards in the State of Florida;
- To engage faculty from across the state in a collaborative process that builds expertise and knowledge about best practices in online and blended course design to the broadest extent possible.
There are 29 institutions (including FLVC) listed under the Florida Quality Matters System Subscription. FLVC serves as the System Lead Institution. The others are the affiliated institutions.
FLQMI General Goals:
For Learners: Improvement in the design of online and blended courses which can reduce barriers to learning online and result in improved student learning, retention, and satisfaction.
For Institutions: Increased number of faculty trained to apply QM standards to their online and blended courses; increased number of faculty trained and certified as peer reviewers; increased number of courses certified as having met high standards of quality course design; increased number of institutions having three to five year implementation plans; increased access to accessible, coordinated professional development, course development support, and peer reviews.
For the Florida Virtual Campus: To reduce the financial burden of the affiliated institutions and provide great opportunities for the institutions to collaborate with each other for effective sharing peer review resources, training, and professional development opportunities for faculty and staff, and continuous improvement of the institution’s online course and program offerings.
Structure and Benefits
The FLVC has finalized the Quality Matters System subscription with a start date of July 1, 2018. QM defines a System subscription (details available at QM Membership and Fees,) type as a Full subscription with a Lead institution that includes Affiliate institutions as part of the System subscription. System Affiliate members receive all benefits of the Full subscription and are able to collaborate within the System to:
- Provide QM workshops to participants from all member institutions
- Conduct Subscriber-Managed QM-Certified Course Reviews
- It has been proposed that FLVC serve as the Lead Institution.
- As Lead Institution, FLVC will provide a Staff lead, Financial Services, Communication & Marketing Services as well as Research Services in support of the Quality Matters Research project.
- Financial Services: Create invoices for participating institutions; Track invoice payments and provide reporting; Create PO for vendor service payments; Process vendor payment; Information to create the institution’s invoice would come from the staff member serving as project lead.
- Administrative Coordination:(Staffing) FLVC would provide a trained System Lead QM Coordinator and a web presence for subscribers.
- Communication & Marketing Services: Marketing support for FLQMC related activities; Development and maintenance of a FLQMC website
- Research Services: Research and analysis for multi-institution as it relates to quality metrics and services and FLQMC
- The Lead institution signs the System subscription agreement and pays a larger fee, allowing member institutions to subscribe as affiliates at a greatly discounted rate.
§. Affiliate institutions are part of the Lead System subscription, which operates as one subscription.
It was suggested that FLVC provide coordination, at least for the first year, absorbing the administrative workload of establishing the new licensing and assisting the members council in creating an affiliate MOU and putting guidelines and procedures in place.
It has been proposed that the lead institution fee ($5,775) would be divided among all subscribers, resulting in a $300 fee per institution. Even so, savings for Small programs (1-2 programs) would be approximately $300 annually, while Standard program (3+ programs) would save approximately $1100.
Your first-year rate would be prorated to adjust for the appropriate date range for your institution.
|Member Cost: Consortium and System|
Full Standard $2600 (3+ online programs)
Full Small $1750 (1-2 online programs)
$5775 for lead institution
$1155 per affiliate institution
|3+ Organizations: All Faculty and Staff||Lead and Affiliate Organizations: All Faculty and Staff|
|All Full subscription benefits||All Full subscription benefits|
|License to facilitate APPQMR at their own institution only||License to facilitate APPQMR for all affiliates|
|Custom Reports||System and affiliate reporting tools|
Additional details on the different licenses can be found here: https://www.qualitymatters.org/qm-membership/benefits-fees
The Florida System License will provide institutions with lower costs, more services, and FLVC Administrator Coordination.