FLVC-IDN (Instructional Designer Network)
Florida higher education institutions have observed an increasing need of training and supporting online faculty on pedagogies, instructional design, course development and technology. To address this need in 2018 FLVC successfully launched the Instructional Designer Network (IDN) in partnership with Seminole State College of Florida and the University of Central Florida, who are representing the Florida College System (FCS) and the State University System of Florida (SUS), respectively. The IDN is the statewide professional development network for the Florida instructional/learning designers, instructional/learning technologists, and educators who are interested in:
- learning and sharing best practices in education;
- new pedagogies;
- new technologies;
- quality assurance;
- student success;
- online instructional design and development; and
- other popular topics in education.
Through the network and community, the IDN sponsors professional development events and creates collaborative opportunities to help instructional design and technology professionals to:
- share research and best practices;
- gain the knowledge and skills to support faculty;
- support student success in Florida.
Best Practices & Real World Tips
- The Rapid E-Learning Blog: Blog with practical, real-world tips for e-learning success.
- E-Learning Heroes: Active online community that offers tips, e-learning challenges, discussions, and access to templates and assets.
- Learning Solutions Magazine: Magazine with strategies, tools, technologies, services, and best practices to design, develop, implement and manage online learning programs.
- eLearning Industry: Online community or professional which offers articles, concepts, software and resources.
- eLearning Learning: Hub that collects and organizes the best posts and articles on online learning.
- The eLearning Coach: Website with actionable strategies, practical content, product reviews and resources for understanding, designing, and developing online learning.
- Cathy Moore: Blog with ideas for designing lively training for working adults.
- Jane Bozar Bozarthzone: Blog with ideas for creating and outsourcing inexpensive online learning solutions, along with general thoughts about the training and development field.
- Quality Matters: Organization that supports quality assurance.
- Online Learning Consortium: Organization that provides professional development, instruction, best practice publications and guidance to educators, online learning professionals and organizations.
- The eLearning Guild: Online community with information, networking, and resources for online learning.
- Education Advisory Board (EAB): Organization that provides best practice research and practical advice to key academic and administrative leaders.
- The International E-learning Association: Online community of online learning professionals, researchers, and students.
- EDUCAUSE: Online community of IT leaders and professionals committed to advancing higher education.
- The Association for Talent Development: Professional membership organization supporting those who develop the knowledge and skills of employees in organizations.
Training & Support
- Lynda: Online learning platform that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Atomic Learning: Online training and development solutions for education.
- TechSmith: Online tutorials, support and community for several development products including Snagit, Camtasia, Relay, Loop, Jing, etc.
- Adobe TV: Online resources and support for Adobe tools and services.
- eLearning Brothers: Online library of templates and assets.
- eLearning Infographics: Online library of infographics for online learning.
- eLearning Art: Online library of templates and art for online learning.
- WebAIM: Comprehensive web accessibility solutions.
- Thinkstock: Online library of royalty-free stock images.
- Unsplash: Online library of free, high-resolution images
- Freesound: Online library of audio snippits, samples, recording available for use under Creative Commons licenses.
- Library of Congress: Online library that offers a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage you in your intellectual endeavors.
- w3schools: Website with tutorials and support for programmers.
Professional Development Webinar Series
Collaborating with our colleagues, partners, friends and supporters across the state, FLVC-IDN hosts or co-hosts monthly professional development webinars in Spring and Fall terms of academic year. The webinars cover various popular topics and are presented by guest speakers who are experts in the field. The webinar recordings and related resources are archived and shared with the community as well as on this website.
Nancy Swenson, Karen Tinsley-Kim, Jacob Bates and Wendy Howard, University of Central Florida
The 2018 Student Textbook and Course Materials Survey: Results and Opportunities
John Opper, Executive Director at FLVC
Valentine’s CoLAB Online Networking Event
Co-hosted by: University of Florida Office of Teaching Excellence, TOPkit and FLVC-IDN
Key Strategies to Supercharge Your Technology Training
James Jorstad, Director of Academic Technology Services at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Online Professional Development and the Networked Knowledge Activities
Vanessa Dennen, Professor of Instructional Systems & Learning Technologies at Florida State University
FLVC IDN “Open Mic”
Yunhong “Tom” Tu, Florida Virtual Campus
Online Project Management for Instructional Designers Panel
Katie Profeta & Lucia d’Ancona, Indian River State College
Amanda Major & Sue Bauer, University of Central Florida
Christie Nicholas & Heidi Schroeder, University of South Florida
Brenda Such & Emma Brady, University of Florida
Co-hosted by: University of South Florida, TOPkit and FLVC-IDN
Strategies for Managing Instructional Designers' Workload Panel
Michelle Franz, Seminole State College
Wendy Howard, University of Central Florida
Michelle Piper, St. Petersburg College
Colleen Reiner, University of South Florida
Vicki Westergard, St. Petersburg College
Geni Wright, Valencia College
Creating Faculty Buy-in for Course Quality Indicators
Kelvin Thompson, University of Central Florida
Michelle Franz, Seminole State College
Subscribe to FLVC-IDN Listserv
FLVC-IDN Listserv serves as a forum and working tool in support of the Instructional Designer Network. Subscribe to the listserv and receive newsletters and announcements on professional development, career opportunities, as well as rich resources shared by the IDN community members.
Follow FLVC-IDN On Social Media
To provide multiple channels of communication and better support our community and network, the FLVC-IDN is pleased to announce the launch of the following social media sites. Please “Follow” and/or “Friend” us on Twitter and Facebook. More importantly, please use the opportunities the technologies brought us to connect, share and engage with our wonderful colleagues and community.